Dow Introduces Architectural and Roof Coating Innovations at 2010 American Coatings Conference
Dow Construction Chemicals showcases two new roof coating technologies
PHILADELPHIA – April 9, 2010 – In addition to showcasing its full portfolio of solutions for architectural coatings, Dow Construction Chemicals will introduce two new roof coating polymers at the 2010 American Coatings Conference held April 12-14 in Charlotte, N.C. One of the business’s top scientists, Dr. Willie Lau, will also present the prestigious 2010 Joseph J. Mattiello Memorial Lecture “Frontiers in Emulsion Polymerization for Coatings” at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, April 13.
“Practical innovation – it’s what our customers want, and that’s our focus at Dow, ” says Javier Baños, strategic marketing manager, Dow Construction Chemicals, North America. “The scientific breakthroughs that Dr. Lau will discuss and the innovative architectural coatings solutions we’ll showcase in the booth demonstrate our resolve in fulfilling that promise.”
Dow Construction Chemicals offers a robust portfolio of acrylic, redispersible powders and cellulosic technologies designed to improve the adhesion, performance, ease-of-use, durability, and UV- and chemical- resistance of coatings for building and construction applications.
For Elastomeric Roof Coatings:
- RHOPLEXTM EC-3100 allows formulators to create coatings that extend the life of weathered thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) roofing membranes, providing a solution for building owners who would otherwise avoid costly membrane replacements. Dow’s breakthrough was in creating an acrylic polymer that allows the elastomeric roof coatings to adhere securely to TPO substrates, solving a challenge that has eluded the roof coatings industry since the membranes have started to wear.
- Also 100% acrylic, the new RHOPLEXTM EC-3000 polymer provides resistance to rain in a short 20 minutes, even in high humidity and overcast days. It offers excellent dirt pick-up resistance and can be applied in cooler temperatures, extending the application season for contractors.
For EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems):
- RHOPLEX™ EI-6000 is an acrylic binder for clear matrix aggregate finishes that provides excellent weatherability and dirt pick-up resistance.
- RHOPLEX™ EI-2000 functions as a modifier for EIFS cementitous basecoats/adhesive components that is resistant to water, dirt pick-up, yellowing and chalking. As a cement modifier, RHOPLEX™ EI-2000 offers strength, adhesion, water resistance, flexibility and durability.
For Metal Surfaces:
- RHOPLEX™ RT-2004 is an acrylic thermoplastic polymer that offers excellent flexibility and exterior durability in basecoats for metal substrates.
For Cementitious Surfaces:
- RHOPLEX™ CS-4000 is a water-resistant, high-gloss binder specifically developed for use in coatings for cementitious and other non-resilient surfaces.
- RHOPLEX™ AC-630 is an all-acrylic aqueous vehicle for durable, water-resistant sealers that are glossy, clear, and easily compounded.
About Dow Construction Chemicals
With a portfolio of established brands such as RHOPLEX™ Acrylic Polymers, WALOCEL™ and METHOCEL™ Cellulose Ethers, DOW™ Latex Powders, and AQUASET™ Thermoset Binders, Dow Construction Chemicals is a leading supplier to construction product formulators around the world. The business combines the capabilities of Rohm and Haas, acquired by The Dow Chemical Company in 2009, and Dow Wolff Cellulosics, formed in 2007, to create a powerful business with deep and broad technology platforms and application know-how in acrylic, redispersible latex powder, and cellulosic technology. Dow Construction Chemicals brings together the combined resources and 40-year industry experience of Rohm and Haas and Dow Wolff Cellulosics to offer in-depth technical knowledge and effective formulation development experience to manufacturers of building and construction products around the world, supported by global research, technical service and manufacturing facilities. For more information, please visit www.dowconstructionchemicals.com.
About The Dow Chemical Company
Dow combines the power of science and technology with the “Human Element” to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company connects chemistry and innovation with the principles of sustainability to help address many of the world’s most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, renewable energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow’s diversified industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 160 countries and in high growth sectors such as electronics, water, energy, coatings and agriculture. In 2009, Dow had annual sales of $45 billion and employed approximately 52,000 people worldwide. The Company’s more than 5,000 products are manufactured at 214 sites in 37 countries across the globe. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.