Icynene Introduces Renewable-based Spray Foam Insulation – ICYNENE LD-R-50™
A renewable-based insulation and air barrier material that reduces the need for petroleum-based polyols.
Mississauga, ON (2009) – Icynene Inc., the leading manufacturer of open-cell foam insulation products, has introduced ICYNENE LD-R-50™, a renewable-based insulation and air barrier material that reduces the need for petroleum-based polyols.
ICYNENE LD-R-50™, the next generation of Icynene’s high-performance products, is responsibly made using castor oil and exceeds United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) BioPreferredSM and International Code Council (ICC) requirements for a rapidly renewable product.
Numerous environmental benefits
Extracted from the castor plant, castor oil is a natural ingredient that is safe enough for use in personal care products such as lip balm. Production of the castor plant has low energy dependence and requires no pesticides, fungicides or man-made irrigation. The castor oil used for ICYNENE LD-R-50™ has a make-up which is extremely consistent year over year, from location to location and has a higher yield by weight (~40%) than soya oil (~17%).
“With the introduction of ICYNENE LD-R-50™, Icynene has moved forward and added another layer of green consciousness to an already superior product,” says Alan Rankin, President & CEO of Icynene Inc. “Homeowners, builders and architects can feel even more confident that the insulation they’re using is helping reduce their environmental impact from production of the product through its contribution in the building envelope.”
Key benefits for homeowners, building professionals, architects
ICYNENE LD-R-50™ offers many advantages for building professionals, architects and homeowners:
It is an environmentally preferable product that is 100% water-blown, free from HFCs and PBDEs.
- It insulates and air-seals in one step for maximum energy conservation while minimizing the environmental impact during manufacturing and construction.
- By significantly reducing air leakage, ICYNENE LD-R-50™ contributes to a healthier, quieter and more comfortable indoor environment, while reducing energy consumption and related greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 50%.
Icynene takes green action
As a company dedicated to producing product innovations that reduce our environmental footprint, Icynene is also reducing the environmental impact of its business operations. The company has established a “Go Green” company-wide initiative to reduce environmental impact in the workplace and offers green improvements employees can make at home.
Icynene is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and educating employees on conservation issues, teaching them how to be greener, and directing them to additional environmental resources.
About the company
Established in 1986, Icynene Inc. is the leading manufacturer of open-cell foam insulation products that are designed to help create Healthier, Quieter, More Energy Efficient® environments. Icynene® is the insulation of choice for green building around the world, setting a standard for energy performance, comfort and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
Icynene’s line of insulation/air barrier products is distributed (throughout North America, Australia, Asia and Europe) through a network of Icynene Licensed Dealers and Distributors who perform installation on-site for each custom application. For more information or to locate Icynene Licensed Dealers across North America, visit
Fact Sheet: Castor Oil
Castor oil was selected as the natural oil polyol (NOP) for ICYNENE LD-R-50™ because it helps reduce reliance on petroleum-based polyols without compromising product performance (in terms of adhesion, yield, air-sealing, and moisture management).
Unlike other NOPs such as soybean oil, castor oil’s chemical make-up is extremely
consistent year over year and from location to location. In addition to the performance benefits delivered by castor oil, this NOP offers numerous environmental advantages:
Castor Oil: Environmental Overview
For every kilogram of castor polyol produced in place of a petroleum-based polyol, there is a reduction of nearly 3.5 kilograms of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.
- Castor oil is 100% naturally filtered, with no chemical additives required.
- The estimated carbon dioxide absorption level of castor bean plants is 34.6 tonnes per hectare, with two growing cycles per year (source: www.DoveBiotech.com)
- The castor oil used for ICYNENE LD-R-50™ has a yield (by weight) of ~40% vs. ~17% yield with soya oil.
- The castor oil used for ICYNENE LD-R-50™ is processed under the guidelines of the Responsible Care® Initiative (www.responsiblecare.org).
- The production process of the castor polyol has low energy dependence, consisting simply of de-husking and pressing. Harvesting can be done manually.
- Castor crops are non-irrigated (relying only on natural rainfall), saving scarce water supplies.
- Castor crops do not require treatment with pesticides or fungicides.
- Castor crops do not compete with food crops, as they can be grown on marginal lands not competitive with food production lands.
- Castor beans are a rapidly renewable material, as per the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) definition, which requires a 10-year or shorter re-growth time frame.
- A cradle-to-gate study commissioned by the Department of Energy (DOE) reported that there are essentially zero net greenhouse gas emissions from the production of the castor polyol.
Q: How is ICYNENE LD-R-50™’s renewable content measured and certified; and why is it important?
Testing in accordance with ASTM D 6866 confirms that ICYNENE LD-R-50™ exceeds the minimum renewable requirement for a bio-based material and can contribute toward a building’s achievement of credits/points under various national green building programs, including:
• Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for New Construction (LEED-NC) Version 2.2: Materials and Innovation Section 6.0
• NAHB National Green Building Standard (NGBS): Chapter 6 – Resource Efficiency 606.1
Q: What contribution does ICYNENE LD-R-50™ make toward climate control and a reduction in Global Warming?
1. In the US, the relationship between a building’s energy consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is approximately 1:1. Using ICYNENE LD-R-50™ in place of air-permeable insulation can reduce a home’s energy consumption by up to 50%, therefore also reducing related GHG emissions by as much as 50%.
2. ICYNENE LD-R-50™ is HFC-free (no HFC-245fa, 1,1,1,3,3,-pentafluoropropane). HFC 245fa is a high “global warming potential (GWP)” gas with a GWP of 950. This means HFC 245fa is 950 times more damaging than CO2. Source: EPA
Q: Does ICYNENE LD-R-50™ meet nationally recognized requirements for an Environmentally Preferable Product?
Yes. ICYNENE LD-R-50™ is considered an environmentally preferable product because of its contribution to indoor air quality as well as reductions in energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. ICYNENE LD-R-50™ was tested in accordance with Section 01350 of the Material Specifications, adopted by California High Performance Schools (CHPS). ICYNENE LD-R-50™’s compliance is documented in the California High Performance Schools
(CHPS) Low-Emitting Materials (LEM) Table which can be found at http://www.chps.net (click on “CHPS Low Emitting Material List” from Quick Links). The table also lists ICYNENE LD-R-50™ as a product with rapidly renewable content.
Credits and points under the LEED Rating Systems and the NAHB’s National Green Building Standard are granted to buildings that incorporate products with this designation, such as ICYNENE LD-R-50™.
ICYNENE LD-R-50™: a profitable, responsible option
According to a report released by SBI market research, polyurethane foam products will not only survive 2009, but will thrive into 2012, due to an upsurge in demand for green products and homes.
With the introduction of ICYNENE LD-R-50™ – a high-performance insulation with rapidly renewable castor oil content, Icynene will continue to offer builders a profitable and responsible choice for their green building projects.