Q&A Forums

.5 pound foam in metal buildings Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 02:18 PM
.5 pound foam in metal buildings
Is it common practice to install .5 pound foam in metal buildings like pole barns. Or should these buildings only be insulated with closed cell foam?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 03:24 PM
In metal buildings, .5 pound foam can and usally is a big problem. Delamination is the biggest issue. Proceed with caution.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 04:41 PM
Would it be a good idea to use a 1.2 pound foam in metal buildings? Is it best to use a 1.7 pound foam in metal buildings?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 07:01 PM
1.2 would work fine if it's warm enough. Remember it is a water-blown material and they sometimes have adhesion issues.

gcw
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 10:25 PM
Olger,
wouldn't that create some problems with the roof deck assembly in homes? That spec scares me because of that issue.
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 07:47 PM
covered or not???
most post and purlin buildings afford you in the 8" range of depth...so,,,if it was to be lined i would bid a 5-6" application of open cell .5lb foam..

in the past,,when i have seen delamination it wasnt just on a metal substrate,,it would happen on a wood substrate and cement substrate as well.....not seeing those issues at the current time,,,

i would rather shoot a closed cell in the 1.7-2 lbs range to metal buildings any day....

i do not like .5 foam exposed...pretty much anywhere,,to soft to stand up to the rigors of time....
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 08:52 PM
"wouldn't that create some problems with the roof deck assembly in homes? That spec scares me because of that issue."

Hi Newb. What is the concern? Vapor? 5" of 1.2 is a vapor barrier. I have installed all kinds of envelope foam at 7-8" of sponge foam. No problems yet.
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 06:59 AM
what would the min. inches required for 1.2 pound foam to be its own vapour barrier.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 08:38 PM
5-inches.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.